As we power through Q4 with long hours of work and seemingly fewer hours of sleep, caffeine becomes our #1 friend. Most people wake up and instantly have a cup of coffee (or maybe 2) in hopes that they’ll be somewhat alive for work. This may sound like a good plan, but there are ways to get the most out of caffeine that might surprise you!
5 Ways to Make the Most of Caffeine
- Drink small amounts over a longer period of time – Instead of pounding down your morning java, sip on it throughout the morning to slowly release caffeine into your system frequently. This also prevents a crash since your body can slowly clear out the caffeine. If you hate cold coffee, I’d suggest using a mug that locks in heat or even a beverage warmer so you don’t have to constantly reheat it.
- Don’t Neglect H20 – Drink water along with your coffee to stay hydrated and will also help you stay focused. This is especially important after going the whole night without drinking water, which means you’re already dehydrated once you get out of bed.
- Drink a Lighter Roast – Fun fact: The lighter the roast, the higher the caffeine! As beans are roasted and become darker, some of the energy effects are burned off. Also, light roasted coffee is denser than dark roast, meaning more coffee per cup, as most people measure by volume. So, try out a light roast!
- Grind Your Beans – If you grind your beans at home, take a bit more time to get them finely ground in order to release more caffeine. Plus, there’s nothing like the smell of fresh ground coffee in the mornin’.
- Wait Before Your 2nd Cup – Let your body use up the caffeine from your first cup before going for that 2nd cup. This will help prolong your caffeine intake and help you utilize it for more of your day, rather than just feeling jittery in the morning and sleepy in the afternoon.
Enjoy and slowly savor your cups of joe and best of luck during the busy season!