We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
In honor of Earth Day on Sunday, April 22, we’d like to promote a few easy tips for being green in the workplace. Reducing consumption and recycling are essential for a healthy environment. Don’t solely rely on being able to recycle the item eventually, although that’s better than nothing! To help reduce waste, here are a few ideas you can incorporate into your regular workday schedule:
- Take a reusable coffee cup with you
- Most people already recommend taking a water bottle instead of using plastic bottles, reducing plastic waste. Take it a step further and consider using a reusable coffee mug or thermos. Reusable coffee cups reduce waste from paper or styrofoam cups, and as a bonus, some coffee shops give you a small discount if you bring your own cup.
- Pack your lunch in a reusable container instead of sandwich bags
- Many people rely on plastic or paper bags to take lunch and snacks to work and discard them after one use. Try investing in some glass containers (or even reusable plastic ones). You can wash and reuse these containers over and over instead of throwing them out. As a bonus, you won’t have to worry about running out of plastic bags.
- Turn off lights and unplug electronics when not in use
- Reduce energy usage by turning off lights when you leave a room, and using natural light wherever possible. Be sure to unplug any electronics that aren’t being used or no longer need to charge. In an office full of people and machines, these little steps can add up significantly every day.
- Work from home
- Telecommuting isn’t just a nice perk; it’s great for the environment. By staying home, you can reduce traffic on the road which reduces emissions and saves on gasoline. You also reduce energy usage from lights, heat, and electronics if others in your home would still keep them on during your absence.
- Add some indoor plants
- Indoor plants are a great way to bring a little bit of nature inside. Rather than artificial plants made of plastic, bring some organic matter into your office. Succulents, such as aloe vera, are low-maintenance and blend well with many decor themes. You can also take a plant clipping from a friend and plant it in another pot.
We hope some of these tips inspire you to make a few changes in your daily habits. Even small actions can add up to make a big difference in our environment. Check out https://www.earthday.org for some more tips on making the most of Earth Day 2018.